Microsoft BI Training Courses
Use Microsoft’s range of Business Intelligence tools to analyse data sets quickly, provide visual insights via reports and dashboards and to share that data with colleagues.
Choose from Power BI, Get and Transform, Power View or 3d Maps to learn how to get the most from your data using Microsoft BI.
Microsoft Power BI Desktop Introduction course
Microsoft's Power BI is a cloud-based business analytics service that allows you to gather, shape, analyze and visually explore your data. The Power BI Desktop is where you CREATE data models and build visual reports. Once reports are created most use the Power BI Service i.e. PowerBI.com to create Dashboards they can share with others to view and interact with, via browsers or on mobile devices. Anything built in Excel PBI can be converted into PBI Desktop with one click as they use the same engines and languages.
This Microsoft Power BI desktop Introduction course provides you with the tools to quickly analyse vast data sets into meaningful information.Download PDF
What will you learn?
- Create and Publish Projects using Power BI Desktop
- Use data from various sources to create a data model
- Create and use visualisations
- Create custom formulae using DAX
- Use queries
- Design and Deploying Dashboards
- Create Dashboards for Mobile Devices
What is Microsoft Power BI?
- The Power BI environment
- (Optional) Creating a Microsoft Power BI Account
- (Optional) Installing Power BI Desktop
- Working with the Fields and Visualisation Panes
- Using Report View and Data View
- Using Excel, Access and CSV fields as data sources
Data Model Relationships
- Understanding the Data Model
- Using Relationship View
- Creating Many-to-One relationships
- Understanding Filter propagation
- Adding visualisation to a Report Canvas
- Controlling visualisation interactions
- Using Drill Down and Drill Through
- Creating and using Hierarchies
- Importing custom visualisations
Introduction to DAX
- Why are custom calculations useful?
- Creating Calculated Columns & Measures
- Understanding Evaluation Context
- Using CountRows and DistinctCount
- SUMX and CALCULATE
- Time Intelligence Functions
- The role of Queries in data import
- Extract, Transform & Load (ETL)
- Exploring some data transformations
- Working with Applied Steps
- Creating and using Query Parameters
Publishing to Power BI Service
- Publish your Report to PowerBI.com
- Creating Dashboards
- Using Quick Insights
- Using Q&A for interactive data searching
Importing Data into Power BI Service
- Connecting to a variety of Cloud-based data sources, including OneDrive, Google Analytics, Azure SQL Databases and Websites.
Using Excel’s Power Pivot Data Model in Power BI Service
- Creating a Power Pivot Data Model in Excel
- Importing a Power Pivot data Model into Power BI Service
- Creating a variety of visualisations in Power BI Service using Power Pivot data.
- How to share interactive Power BI Dashboards with internal staff and external contacts
- Sharing using Power BI, Web, PowerPoint
- Creating and Managing Content Packs
- Power BI mobile apps
- Manually refreshing data
- Installing and using: the Personal Gateway & the Enterprise Gateway
- Creating a Scheduled Refresh
- Importance of calendars
- Creating a calendar via DAX
- Time Intelligence Functions
- Comparison with Previous periods
- Aggregations over time
Enliten IT will provide each delegate with a workbook and other useful reference materials where applicable. These may be either paper based or in Adobe pdf format or a combination thereof.
“Having been self taught on PowerPoint I felt this really showed me a lot of new ideas and ways to do this more effectively. ”Having been self taught on PowerPoint
NOTE: We only offer the Microsoft Power BI Desktop Introduction course on a private in-house basis.
Enliten IT reserves the right to modify course content and materials as required in the interests of continuous course improvement, at any time, without notification.
The suggested course duration is a guideline. Course topics and duration may be modified by the instructor based upon the knowledge and skill level of the course participants.