Microsoft BI Training Courses
Use Microsoft’s range of BI (Business Intelligence) tools to analyse data sets quickly, provide visual insights via reports and dashboards and to share that data with colleagues.
Choose from Power BI, Get and Transform, Power View or 3d Maps to learn how to get the most from your data using Microsoft BI.
Microsoft Power BI Desktop Introduction course
Microsoft's Power BI is a cloud-based business analytics service that allows you to gather, shape, analyse and visually explore data. The Power BI Desktop is where you CREATE data models and build visual reports. Once reports are created most use the Power BI Service i.e. App.PowerBI.com to create Dashboards they can share with others to view and interact with, via browsers or on mobile devices.Download PDF
What will you learn?
- Create and Publish reports
- Use data from various sources to create a data model
- Create and use visualisations to drill through data
- Create custom formulae using DAX functions
- Use queries to manage data
- Create charts
What is Microsoft Power BI?
- The Power BI environment
- Working with the Fields and Visualisation Panes
- Using Report View and Data View
- Using the following data sources:
- Excel, CSV/Text files
- Folders and SQL server
Introduction to DAX
- Why are custom calculations useful?
- Creating Calculated Columns & Measures
- Understanding Evaluation Context
- Using COUNTROWS and DistinctCount
- SUMX and CALCULATE
- Adding visualisation to a Report Canvas
- Controlling visualisation interactions
- Using Drill Down and Drill Through
- Creating and using Hierarchies
- Custom Tooltips
- Importance of calendars
- Creating a calendar via DAX
- Time Intelligence Functions
- Comparison with Previous periods
- Aggregations over time
Data Model Relationships
- Understanding the Data Model
- Data and Relationship Views
- Creating and Managing relationships
- Advanced Relationship options
- Cross Filter directions
Advanced DAX Functions
- X Functions
- Other functions
- The role of Queries in data import
- Extract, Transform & Load (ETL)
- Working with Applied Steps
- Exploring some data transformations
- Split columns
- Replacing values
- Creating and using Query Parameters
- Dealing with errors
- Calculated columns
- Append and Merge Queries
- Dual- Axis
- Guage and Ribbon charts
- Custom visuals
Preparisg for Publishing
- Adding bookmarks
- Creating action buttons
- Setting up User Roles
Publishing to the Power BI Service
- Publish your Report to PowerBI.com
- Creating Dashboards
- Using Quick Insights
- Using Q&A for interactive data searching
Sharing Dashboards – Discussion Only
- How to share interactive Power BI Dashboards with internal staff and external contacts
- Creating a Power BI App
- Sharing using Power BI, Web, PowerPoint
- Creating and Managing Content Packs
- Power BI mobile apps
Data Refresh – Discussion Only
- Manually refreshing data
- Installing and using: the Personal Gateway & the Enterprise Gateway
- Creating a Scheduled Refresh
Enliten IT will provide each delegate with a workbook and other useful reference materials where applicable. These may be either paper based or in Adobe pdf format or a combination thereof.
“Excellent – thoroughly enjoyed it. Wonderful! Kirsty, Herma UK”Excellent – Wonderful!
NOTE: We only offer the Microsoft Power BI Desktop Introduction course on a private in-house basis.
Enliten IT reserves the right to modify course content and materials as required in the interests of continuous course improvement, at any time, without notification.
The suggested course duration is a guideline. Course topics and duration may be modified by the instructor based upon the knowledge and skill level of the course participants.